Carney & Marchi, P.S.
Criminal defense and immigration representation in Washington State
Call Today 206-224-0909

Seattle Legal Issues Blog

Who is eligible to file for a U-visa?

Under the Violence Against Women Act, certain victims of domestic violence can file an immigrant visa petition to seek safety and independence. This provision is known as a U-visa, and it is filed without the abuser’s knowledge. These provisions apply to both men and women. They apply to spouses, parents and children who are in an abusive relationship. However, there are eligibility requirements. 

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services lists these requirements: 

  • The abuser must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must have experienced extreme cruelty or battery by the abuser, your parent, spouse or child over the age of 21.
  • You and the abuser must have lived together.
  • You must have good moral character.
  • You must have entered into the marriage in good faith, not for immigration benefits, if the abuser is a spouse.

Why you should hire a lawyer to handle a DUI

One second you are driving down the road, the next you are under arrest facing a drunk driving charge. Wondering what the next steps are, you should keep in mind that a drunk driving conviction can mean license suspension, fines, community service or even jail time. The severity of your consequences may depend on if this is your first, second or third offense, with penalties getting more severe with each occurrence. If you are also facing immigration related issues, this drunk driving arrest will only add more possible issues to your case.

Immigration status often keeps victims quiet

Maybe you know someone who is (or who has been) a victim of domestic violence. The person could be your mother, grandmother, friend, cousin or even your father. Or maybe you yourself are a victim of domestic violence. The reasons why people stay in such situations are often multilayered and complex. They can also be practical. After all, an illegal immigrant who is being abused may fear deportation if he or she leaves. Who knows what extents the abuser may go to?

Traveling to Canada after a DUI

Whether it is for business or pleasure, people travel for many reasons. As American citizens, we are generally used to being able to travel freely to any location. However, this freedom can be limited if a person has a criminal record.

For some people, being convicted of driving while intoxicated is a cause of concern because of the legal effects it has on their life in the United States, but it also may prevent them from going to neighboring countries. Before you can understand how a DUI conviction may prevent you from entering Canada, you must first understand why the Canadian government would want to keep people with DUIs out of the country.


Seattle Office
108 South Washington Street
Suite 406
Seattle, WA 98104

Map & Directions
Phone: 206-224-0909
Fax: 206-467-1819
Kennewick Office
7502 West Deschutes Place
Kennewick, WA 99336

Map & Directions
Phone: 509-545-1055
Fax: 206-467-1819
Yakima Office
The Larson Building
6 South 2nd Street
Suite 411
Yakima, WA 98901

Map & Directions
Phone: 509-545-1055
Fax: 206-467-1819